American Merit is a Roots Rock’N’Roll band from Texas. The lineup consists of Alex Smith, Daniel Lightfoot, Russell McClendon, and Evan Shepperd. A project 2 years in the making, American Merit is set to release several singles in December of 2020. Expect loud drums and over driven guitars with a groove. If you were looking for it, you’ve found it.
We got one of the band to answer a few questions for us…
All the questions in this interview are answered by the Drummer, Evan Shepperd.
- Tell us a little bit about the band and how long you have been together for some of our readers that may not know about the band?
We’re a rock and roll band from Texas, and we’ve been playing together a little over a year now.
- What is new with the band?..New Album out? New Videos?
We have released 3 singles along with 2 music videos. And you can also find us on onlyfans!
- With all this madness going on with the virus…What do you think the music scene will be like in the future…and how are you prepared to make your music heard if there will not be any concerts or festivals for the year of 2020? Evan-
We plan on shooting live videos, along with full length music videos. Also, writing new material for the studio with hopes that things will get back to normal sooner than later.
- What got you into music and what is your earliest memory of when you told yourself…”THIS IS WHAT I WANT”? Evan-
Laying on my mom’s couch watching Pearl Jam on MTV; and when I heard my dad play drums for the first time I knew I wanted to do that.
- Who was your first concert and what is your best memory? Evan-
My first real concert was in 2006, I was 13. I saw Godsmack, Rob Zombie, and Shinedown. And standing next to my dad watching Sully Erna and Shannon Larkin from Godsmack perform the dual drum solo for the first time was and will always be one of my favorite concert memories.
- If you didn’t become a musician, what would you be doing right now? Evan-
Wishing I was a musician.
- On a scale of 1 to 2593, How good is your newest single compared to your last single? (my attempt at humor, but please still answer) Evan-
You’ll just have to listen for yourself…
- What do you feel is the best song you have released to date and why?. Evan-
It’s hard to say, because my favorite changes all the time.
- Do you think you can get any better as a musician/singer? And if so, How would you achieve that? Evan-
Yes. Practice, practice, practice. And more importantly, being honest with myself on what I need to improve on.
- If you could give your fans one random fact about you that you think they should (or should “not” know) about you what would that be? Evan-
There was a time in my life when all I wanted was a Dixie chicks CD.
- You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why? Evan-
Red sparkle… It’s the Color of my drum set.
- Who are you inspired by? Evan-
- What’s an average day like one tour? and what about these days? Evan-
Well, we’re a new band that debuted in the middle of a pandemic and have not had the opportunity to tour… I’ll let you know as soon as I find out.
- Please discuss how you interact with and respond to fans? Evan-
Nothing but love and appreciation.
- Have you ever dealt with performance anxiety? Evan-
I’d be lying if I said no.
- Tell me about your favorite performance venues? Evan-
Every time I’ve got to play at the iconic Saxon pub in Austin, Tx. That place is awesome.
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to follow in your footsteps? Evan-
If playing music is truly what you want to do, there’s no “turning it off”…So enjoy the ride and don’t be an asshole.
“City is a song that was 4 years in the making from conception to finished product. Once we finally got together we finished it in a few days. I carried that rhythm around in the back of my head like loose change in my pocket. Whenever I’d get bored or needed something to work on, there it was…” – Alex Smith