Pistols At Dawn is a high energy, heavy hitting, heart pumping, radio ready hard rock band with lyrics and visuals of the times pushing the listener not to accept the status quo. PAD has been compared to a combination of Godsmack, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Tool, AC/DC, Metallica, Disturbed and other universal hard rock acts, while retaining a uniquely electric, powerful, and vintage sound singular to Pistols At Dawn.
We throw the band a few question and lets see what they had to say below
This interview is given by Adam – the drummer for PAD.
- Tell us a little bit about the band and how long you have been together for some of our readers that may not know about the band?
–Pistols At Dawn is an American professional hard rock band from Atlanta, Georgia, formed in 2015 by drummer Adam Jaffe, guitarist Devin White, guitarist Mike Buffa, and bassist Billy Sullivan. Virtuoso guitarist Buffa died tragically in 2018 and the band reunited in 2019 with its first releases in early 2020.
We released 3 new singles in early 2020, “Cold”, “Gauntlet” and “All You offer”. Cold and Gauntlet were recorded/engineered by famed producer Jeff Tomei (smashing pumpkins/ matchbox 20) at Cock the Walk Studio in Atlanta, GA. All You Offer was recorded by producers George Marlow and Chris Pierrson at Ionian Music in Atlanta, GA. All three singles include lyrics and vocals by Rockstar Supernova Finalist and the band’s long time friend and elite rock frontman, Chris Pierson. We have been compared to a combination of Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Tool, AC/DC, Metallica, Disturbed and other universal hard rock acts, while retaining a unique vintage sound singular to Pistols At Dawn.
- What is new with the band?..New Album out? New Videos?
–We released our 3 new singles and lyric videos for “Cold”, “Gauntlet” and “All You Offer” this year and have been promoting them globally. We recently wrapped up filming our new music video for “Cold” at the Central State Hospital abandoned insane asylum in Milledgeville, Georgia. It was the first ever music video filmed there and the video is incredible and very spooky. It will be released worldwide next week. We also just completed recording our new EP with Jeff Tomei at Cock the Walk Studio in Atlanta, Georgia. It is really powerful, and will be released by the end of 2020. We are also filming our new Music Video for “Gauntlet” on November 14th and will release it by Thanksgiving. Finally, we are currently in planning stages for a live stream show. We play constantly and want to share our energy with our fans no matter how we can do it! We are full speed ahead and hope to tour the World the second the insanity ends!
- With all this madness going on with the virus…What do you think the music scene will be like in the future…and how are you prepared to make your music heard if there will not be any concerts or festivals for the year of 2020?
— We do not expect any concerts or festivals in 2020 so we have spent all of our time creating new music, videos, posts, and other content all for online distribution and marketing. Despite the crazy world we live in now, we have adapted fully to using this incredible online world we have at our disposal. We haven’t stopped creating for a second, and we genuinely feel our band will stand out big time if we continue to provide content to our currently homebound audience. The response has been amazing, and we will continue til we can see them all in person.
- What got you into music and what is your earliest memory of when you told yourself… “THIS IS WHAT I WANT”?
— We all got into music because of the way that our favorite bands made us feel. That first concert, that first cd, and that first instrument all changed our lives. Music is all about making people feel and experience amazing emotions. It’s an escape from reality. Taking someone on that ride is a rush we could never put into words. I am the drummer and I was watching a dear friend play drums with his band when we were little. A song by Aerosmith came on the radio and my friend showed me how to play it. In less than 5 minutes I was rocking with Aerosmith and took to the drums naturally. It was at that moment that I knew I’d be playing for the rest of my life.
- Who was your first concert and what is your best memory?
— My first concert was Prince and the Revolution. INCREDIBLE! INCREDIBLE! INCREDIBLE! I can remember him singing When Doves Cry in a bathtub, and playing “Nothing Compares To You” the way it was meant to be sung. That night will stay with me forever.
- If you didn’t become a musician, what would you be doing right now?
—-I cannot imagine another reality other than being a musician, but if I had to, it would be law.
- On a scale of 1 to 2593, How good is your newest single compared to your last single? (my attempt at humor, but please still answer)
—2593 – Our newest single kicks ass just like our last one. The new single and new EP will make you want to stand up and move! More to come just like it!
- What do you feel is the best song you have released to date and why?
–”Cold”. It was our first single and it is a true epic rock song. We wrote it in just a few hours and it is really powerful from beginning to end. The solo from our late guitarist Mike Buffa is unreal! He spent a gazillion hours preparing it, and it moves all of us emotionally every time we hear it.
- Do you think you can get any better as a musician/singer? And if so, How would you achieve that?
— Undoubtedly! The more we play the better we are. We are like a fine wine. The longer we are together, the better our music will be.
- If you could give your fans one random fact about you that you think they should (or should “not” know) about you what would that be?
–Our lead singer Chris Pierson was a finalist on the VH1 show “Rockstar Supernova”
- You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?
We would be a combination of black and red – the new bred color 🙂 We are dark and powerful (thus black) and we are sharp and have a ton of attack (thus red).
- Who are you inspired by Musically or in life in general?
We are inspired by Metallica, Slayer, Foo Fighters, Sevendust, Avenged Sevenfold, Korn, Slipknot, Tool, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and the 90’s seattle sound
- What’s an average day like one tour? and what about these days?
–An average day on tour is like a pinball machine. We bounce from one place to another until showtime. Radio promotion, Band meetings, Meet & Greets, Industry meetings, Soundchecks, and then tear it up! Wash, Rinse, Repeat! Lol
- Please discuss how you interact with and respond to fans?
—Our fans are our family! We respond nonstop, interact constantly, engage constantly and are there for them anytime they need us. We want to be the most accessible big hard rock band on the planet. Always!
- Have you ever dealt with performance anxiety before, during, or after a show?
Not really. We all have nervous energy at the beginning of a set, but it translates quickly into powerful delivery and an emotional charge on stage.
- If you could collaborate musically or artistically in any way who would it be and why?
— We would love to collaborate with the remaining members of Led Zeppelin since they are rock gods! We would love to work with the top video animators in the world as it is always cool to add new art to our videos.
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to follow in your footsteps?
— DO IT! DON’T THINK ABOUT! JUST DO IT! The key to making it as a musician or band is to make the decision and then don’t stop til you get where you want to be. Most people do not follow through with their dreams. The only way to make it in the music industry is to have serious talent, and then to never stop til you get there!