WE SELL THE DEAD – THE BAND AROUND IN FLAMES’ NICLAS ENGELIN AND DRÖMRIKET’S JONAS SLÄTTUNG – RETURN WITH A BRAND NEW ALBUM!
“BLACK SLEEP” OUT FEBRUARY 21st, 2020
You may ask: what does the band name – We Sell The Dead – mean? Do they actually sell the dead? No, not literally. What they sell is more of an idea, a concept of death and the dead as being an integral part of the life of the living. All of that is packed into a riveting mix of dark and raw heavy metal that carries the catchiness of true hit material. Their sophomore album “Black Sleep” is going to be released on February 21st, 2020 via earMUSIC.
Niclas from the band took some time to answer a few questions we had for him:
• Tell us a little bit about WSTD and how long you have been together for some of our readers that may not know about the band?
• Hey!! We been around for maybe 2 years and this album ”Black Sleep” is our first album as a proper Rock/Hardrock band and what you hear on ”Black Sleep” is a collective work of art as a band. The first album HDWYAHIF was more of a project were I was writing music to an animated movie with a story line like Jack The Ripper but moved to Gothenburg/Sweden during the same period of time and I guess you can hear that the first album had more of a Doom & Gloom to the music where ”Black Sleep” is full of light and hope but I´m really proud of the first album as well!!
• What got you into music and what keeps you going night after night playing?
• I got my first album from my dad who figured I might like Hardrock and it was Judas Priest – Defenders Of The Faith and as soon as the needle hit Freewheel Burning and I had the first glance at the beyond awesome inner sleeve I was hooked for life!! Seeing Dio on The Last In Line tour with Queensryche as opener was overwhelming or seeing the video to Bark At The Moon with Ozzy and a Jake E Lee riffing like a king was like.. that´s it I need a guitar and a band now!!
• Tell us a little bit about your new album Black Sleep, what’s behind it? What’s different to HDWYAHIF?
• Our new album is very beautiful and a soulful album with bright colors even thou we deal with the eternal sleep/Black Sleep but in a very positive way. The music is lighter and more of a classic Hardrock vibe to it and as I mentioned before a work of a collective team! The first album was me alone writing the heaviest, darkest but still hopeful music I could, the first album has more of a Doom feeling to it but still with tons of melodies and hooks!
• If you didn’t become a musician, what would you be doing right now?
• Besides from soccer player which I did until 16 years old and had to choose either guitar or a football.. hmm maybe a construction painter.
• What is the weirdest or funniest question you have ever been asked?
• From a journalist from Spain: How do you want to die!
• If you can have your fans remember you for one thing, what would that be?
• That tone and riffage and hopefully remember some songs of mine with brings smile to faces with joy!
• On a scale of one to 2593, How good is your new single compared to your last single? (my attempt at humor, but please still answer)
• Hahahaha.. I think is a sharp 668 easily!!
• What do you feel is the best song you have released to date and why?
• Oh, hard question cos´I tend to write all the time and found a way to keep getting inspired to do so.. But I have to say ”Carved In Stone” from the new album it´s a song that took me like 25 minutes to write and everything just fell into place while writing the song which is very rare coming from me.. I´m proud of all my songs as long as I put 100% of my heart & soul into the song I´m proud and it feels right in my heart!
• Do you think you can get any better as a musician/singer? And if so, How would you achieve that?
• Oh yes!! Thats the beauty of being in a band or play with other artists, I learn all the time and can get inspired and be on the move which for me is so important.. don´t stop being curious of music and put your soul into the music all the time.. Music is Life!!
• If you could give your fans one random fact about you that you think they should (or should “not” know) about you what would that be?
• That I love doing painting jobs, like wallpapers and painting walls, ceilings.. hahaha!
• You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?
• Hmm.. I think I wold be olive green because I feel inspired and can bring happiness and joy to people!
• Who are you inspired by?
• Wow!! That´s a tough question but it can be anything from sunny weather to a conversation about a interresting topic or just randomly picking up the guitar and play some chords that gives me an idea to a melody.
• What’s an average day like for you?
• Up with the kids, breakfast and then take them to school and after that my day starts with recording guitars, writing music or meetings. I try to work daytime as much as possible while my family is in school or work so we can have the same routines.. this is not doable while on tour.
• Please discuss how you interact with and respond to fans
• I try to respond as much as possible with supporters and the interact are so important which I find inspiring at the same time!
• Have you ever dealt with performance anxiety?
• No, never!! (Knock on wood)
• Tell me about your favorite performance venues
• It´s more a matter of interact band Vs audiences if that´s working as usual then we have a fantastic evening together and we go through the roof of positive energy and full on Metal show!! So it can be a arena or a club it doesn’t matter for as long as we together band & audience are having a great time together then I´m in!!
• What advice would you have for someone wanting to follow in your footsteps?
• Make sure to have fun while playing your instrument and never stop being curios about music!!
The band started in 2016 as an idea by Niclas Engelin (In Flames/Engel) and Jonas Slättung (Drömriket). They were quickly joined by their old friend Apollo Papathanasio – the frontman for Firewind and Spiritual Beggars – on vocals. Gas Lipstick, drummer for the first album and former member of HIM was replaced by Engel drummer Oscar Nilsson, due to logistical circumstances. In addition, Petter Olsson joins the band as a full-time member on keys and thereby perfectly rounds up the quintet.
“Black Sleep” is going to be released on February 21st, 2020 via earMUSIC as CD, LP and Digital.
The explosive first single “Across The Water” is available to stream and download here: https://wesellthedead.lnk.to/AcrossTheWater